NBC says Olympic viewing shows how second or third or fourth screens

by David Bauder, The Associated Press Posted Apr 23, 2014 1:30 pm MDT NBC says Olympic viewing shows how second (or third, or fourth) screens changing habits FILE – This Feb. 17, 2014 file photo shows Meryl Davis and Charlie White of the United States compete in the ice dance free dance figure skating finals during the 2014 Winter Olympics, in Sochi, Russia. Slightly more than half of the people who watched the Sochi Olympics on NBC also used a computer, tablet or smartphone to get information about the games while the TV was on, the network said on Wednesday, April 23. NBC and its cable networks televised 541 hours of Sochi action and made all Olympic competition available online. (AP Photo/Ivan Sekretarev, File) AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email NEW YORK, N.Y. – Slightly more than half of the people who watched the Sochi Olympics on NBC also used a computer, tablet or smartphone to get information about the games while the TV was on, the network said Wednesday.NBC closely studies how Americans follow the action partly because the Olympics are a huge investment, but also to get a peek at how media habits are changing. This year’s takeaway: the multiscreen experience is rapidly taking hold and is doing so across all age groups.“It’s not 25-year-olds who wear black and live in Williamsburg,” said Alan Wurtzel, NBC’s chief researcher. “This is America.”NBC and its cable networks televised 541 hours of Sochi action and made all Olympic competition available online. The flood of material only increased the appetite; NBC said 49 per cent of viewers said they watched more Olympics action simply because it was more available, and that number shot to nearly two-thirds among viewers aged 18 to 34.The ability to find out results or even see live competition before events were shown on a tape-delayed basis on NBC in prime time didn’t hurt viewership. NBC had its second-biggest prime-time audience the night it showed American ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White win gold, even though that performance was shown live online and on cable earlier in the day.In fact, NBC said people who watched live Olympics action on cable were 43 per cent more likely to watch NBC’s taped prime-time show. NBC’s ratings were up slightly over Vancouver, British Columbia, in 2010 despite a time difference that allowed for no live competition in prime time and arguably a poorer performance by American athletes.Only 9 per cent of Americans reported owning smartphones during the 2008 Beijing summer Olympics, compared with 60 per cent during Sochi, NBC said. Although Olympic fans of all ages used these devices to follow the games, it was dramatically more so among the young, many of whom followed the Olympics more on their phones than they did on TV.That’s a concern for NBC. Television networks still have no reliable way of measuring — and monetizing — viewing of video on smartphones, and that represents a lot of potentially lost revenue if smartphones become the viewing habit of choice for many in a new generation.Wurtzel also said he was surprised that social media use surrounding the Olympics was not more widespread. An estimated 3 million people said they sent at least one Olympic-related message on Twitter during the 17-day event, a relatively small number considering NBC averaged more than 21 million viewers each night in prime time.“Before the Olympics I thought I’d say this was the first social media Olympics,” Wurtzel said. “The reality is, it’s not a game-changer yet.”___David Bauder can be reached at [email protected] or on [email protected] His work can be found at http://bigstory.ap.org/content/david-bauder read more

GECOM Chair I have the list examining the names very critically

Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedGECOM Chair: 3rd list to be submitted soon- JagdeoJuly 29, 2017In “latest news”President maintains unilateral appointment of GECOM Chair not “flawed”, despite CCJ rulingJune 19, 2019In “Court”Five weeks on …President still to decide on third list of GECOM nomineesOctober 4, 2017In “latest news” President David Granger on Thursday announced that he is in receipt of the third list of nominees submitted by the Leader of the Opposition, Dr Bharrat Jagdeo, for the post of the new Guyana Elections Commissions (GECOM) Chairman and is in the process of examining the candidates.President David Granger“I have received the list, I have responded to Mr Jagdeo, the Leader of the Opposition, stating that I have received the list and I’m examining those names now, very critically,” he told media operatives at the sidelines of an event at State House.According to Granger, he plans to discuss the matter of selection with his colleagues and does not expect that a decision will be made before next Tuesday’s Cabinet.“I don’t make these decisions without advice and I will discuss these matters with my colleagues. It certainly won’t be before next cabinet which will be held on Tuesday,” Granger said.Jagdeo, on Friday last, disclosed that he had submitted the third list of nominees to President David Granger.The candidates on the list included, Major General Joseph Singh, Teni Housty, Sanjeev Datadin, Ms Annette Arjoon-Martins, Onesi La Fleur and Krishnadatt Persaud.The Opposition Leader had said that he was hopeful that the President would select one of the six names he presented, since he [Jagdeo] selected the candidates based on the ruling of the acting Chief Justice.He further explained that the absence of a Chairperson at GECOM “is an untenable position” since “the work there, in GECOM is totally stalled- they are on remote and automatic mode and many of the pressing issues that have to be solved for local and national elections cannot be addressed and so there is a sense of urgency and it will affect preparations.”Probed for his plans in the event that the President rejects yet another one of his lists, Jagdeo maintained that he does not want to “speculate” and he is hoping for the best.The Opposition Leader had submitted his first list of six nominees for the position of the GECOM chairperson during the last part of 2016. However, President Granger had maintained that the list was “unacceptable.”The second list submitted by Jagdeo was also met with rejection, with Granger saying that the nominees did not satisfy the criteria.The President had maintained that Article 161 (2) of the Constitution of Guyana prescribes for the Chairman of the Elections Commission to be “a person who holds or who has held office as a judge of a court…or who is qualified to be appointed as any such judge, or any other fit and proper person…”As such, businessman Marcel Gaskin had moved to the court to seek clarity on the constitutional requirement for the appointment of a GECOM Chairperson.Recently, acting Chief Justice Roxanne George ruled against President Granger’s interpretation of Guyana’s Constitution for the appointment of a GECOM chairperson, saying that there was no preference for judicial persons.In response to the ruling, President Granger had said that the Chief Justice gave her interpretation of the law and he would continue to follow his “interpretation” of the Constitution.Just recently, the British High Commissioner Gregory Quinn called on the authorities here to appoint a Chairperson for the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) as soon as possible considering Local Government Elections (LGE) are right around the corner [in 2019]. (Ramona Luthi) read more