Samsung Heavy Bags USD 440 Mln Order

first_imgNamely, Samsung won an order amounting to USD 440 million for three shuttle tankers from an unnamed European shipper.The order comes in the wake of reports on struggling Korean shipbuilders to win orders, as China takes the lead as the world’s top builder of ships.Korean companies won orders for 5.55 million compensated gross tonnage (CGT), or 164 vessels, in the first half,  29.5 percent lower that the previous year, according to Clarkson’s data.The country’s share in the global orderbook dipped 4.7 percentage points year-on-year to 27.1 percent.World Maritime News Staff; July 17th, 2014 zoom Korea’s shipbuilding giant Samsung Heavy Industries said that it has secured a major order earlier this month.last_img read more

Torstar names John Boynton as new CEO and publisher of the Toronto

Torstar names John Boynton as new CEO and publisher of the Toronto Star TORONTO – Torstar Corp. (TSX:TS.B) named a senior executive from loyalty rewards company Aimia Inc. as its new chief executive and publisher of the Toronto Star, picking a marketing veteran to help tackle challenges including declining print revenue.The newspaper publisher and digital media company said Friday that John Boynton will assume the top job effective March 31. Boynton has been chief marketing officer of the Americas Coalitions business at Aimia, the Montreal-based owner of Aeroplan.“John is a proven strategic leader and a turnaround specialist with a unique blend of marketing and advertising experience that will benefit both Torstar’s newspapers and its digital businesses,” Torstar chairman John Honderich said in a statement.“His background in leading successful teams in a variety of businesses, including data, digital, technology, Internet, mobile, video, entertainment and consumer goods, is ideally suited for Torstar at this time in the company’s evolution towards a more digital and mobile future.”Torstar’s latest results out on Wednesday highlighted the company’s struggles. Like many other newspaper publishers, its revenue dropped in 2016. Print advertising sales fell as both advertisers and readers moved online. At the same time, revenue from digital ventures like Star Touch, the Toronto’s Star’s tablet edition, has not offset those losses.Before joining Aimia (TSX:AIM), Boynton was chief marketing officer for Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX:RCI.B). He also held senior roles at Sprint Canada, AT&T Canada, Scott’s Hospitality and Pepsico.Torstar said that Boynton’s background in marketing and advanced data analytics and monetization will help the company in offering new opportunities for its advertising and marketing clients.“I am excited to be part of the future and hope to lead a fantastic team to a new chapter in leveraging these assets in new ways to drive new growth,” Boynton said in a statement.BMO Capital Markets analyst Tim Casey wrote in a note to clients that Boynton’s experience is relevant to Torstar as it struggles to transition its business model from print to digital.“Boynton brings extensive experience and expertise in social, digital, and mobile strategy and execution,” Casey wrote.Torstar has spent millions in recent years in an effort to develop its digital business, including Star Touch. However, Star Touch, which was based on the La Presse tablet app, has failed to meet readership expectations.Boynton succeeds David Holland, who retired officially Friday.————————————————————————–Torstar holds an investment in The Canadian Press as part of a joint agreement with a subsidiary of the Globe and Mail and the parent company of Montreal’s La Presse. by The Canadian Press Posted Mar 3, 2017 6:31 am MDT Last Updated Mar 3, 2017 at 10:40 am MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email read more

Ukraine Ban calls for full implementation of announced ceasefire

In a statement issued by his spokesperson, Mr. Ban also welcomed the role recent discussions between the Presidents of Ukraine and Russia have played in today’s breakthrough and strongly encouraged those contacts to continue.“The Secretary-General stresses that credible and comprehensive monitoring and verification are essential elements for successful implementation of the cease-fire and the peace plan,” said the statement. “He encourages all who committed to the agreement to display good will and take concrete steps towards urgent, full and effective implementation. “He calls on the entire international community to rally behind these agreements to serve the interests of a sustainable peace based on a solution that leads to full respect of Ukraine’s territorial integrity and sovereignty.”The crisis in Ukraine has displaced approximately 260,000 people, according to the UN. Eastern towns such as Donetsk and Luhansk are among the more affected areas in the country, with almost 94 per cent of civilians displaced. The fighting has also caused lack of access to basic necessities, such as water and food, as well as electricity shortages. The UN has also reported severe damage to infrastructure, including buildings and roads. In today’s statement, Mr. Ban said the cessation of hostilities will further allow the UN and other humanitarian actors of the international community to deliver critical humanitarian assistance and other needed support to the impacted areas. The Secretary-General also reiterated that there is no military solution to the crisis in Ukraine. “He strongly asserts that it is time to end this destructive conflict once and for all, to stop the bloodshed and to start rebuilding communities and livelihoods in a safe, stable and sovereign Ukraine. He offers the full support of the UN to efforts in this direction as appropriate and requested by the parties.” read more