FILE photo. olga_sweet/iStock(DETROIT) — Prosecutors in Michigan have decided to drop their charge against a 10-year-old boy who was accused of throwing a ball at another child’s face during a game on a school playground.The 10-year-old boy, Bryce, was scheduled to appear in juvenile court Thursday to face a charge of aggravated assault for the incident, which happened in April.The boy’s mom, Cameishi Lindley, had accused officials of charging her son because of his race, saying in a statement Tuesday, “The only thing my son is guilty of is being a Black boy.”Wayne County Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy denied accusations that race played a factor in a statement announcing the dismissal of the charge against Bryce.“The mother of the alleged victim had every right to go to the authorities and the authorities had an obligation to investigate,” Worthy said Wednesday. “When this case was reviewed by my office, no one paid attention the race of either party.”“It is categorically wrong to suggest that this was charged based on race or geography,” she said.The incident involving Lindley’s son, Bryce, and an unidentified classmate happened at a school near Detroit. Bryce was charged with aggravated assault on June 20, according to the family’s attorney, Maurice Davis.He was also suspended from school for one day at the time of the alleged incident, according to his mom.The mother of the student allegedly injured by the ball told ABC station WXYZ-TV in Detroit that her son has a medical condition that makes head injuries especially dangerous.“He sustained facial issue damage to his face. He had a black eye and a bruised nose,” the mom, who asked not to be identified, told WXYZ-TV.Medical records showed the then-fourth grader also suffered a concussion, according to the station.“I tried not to let it get to this point,” the boy’s mom told WXYZ-TV. “My son was hit twice in the face with a ball previously due to this. The child apologized to my son and my son said, ‘Mom it’s OK we’re still going to be friends.’”Worthy said Wednesday that “efforts were made to resolve this matter” before it was brought to the prosecutor’s office for a charge to be considered. She also said that her office took into consideration facts that have not been publicly reported due to ethical rules.“While the charge in this case is certainly sustainable, I have instructed my staff to dismiss this case today,” Worthy said. “It is my earnest hope that both sides will come back to the table to work out a solution that benefits both of these children.”“Again, I am confident that both of them are highly valued,” she said. “I want to make sure that both children are served as we move forward and hopefully these charges will not have to be revisited.”The attorney retained by Lindley had previously threatened to file a civil case against the prosecution and a civil claim against the school if the charge against Bryce was not dropped.A fundraising effort started by the family to cover their legal expenses was closed after raising more than $15,000.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Google+ WhatsApp Google+ 16-year-old boy shot and killed in South Bend Twitter Pinterest IndianaLocalNews Twitter A 16-year-old boy was shot and killed in South Bend.The shooting happened just before 6 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 17, in the 200 block of N. College Street in South Bend.South Bend Police were called to the area to investigate a “Shot Spotter” activation.Shortly thereafter, officers were told an individual had been shot and was located inside a vehicle that had stopped in the 1000 block of N. Brookfield Street in South Bend, IN.When officers arrived in the 1000 block of N. Brookfield Street in South Bend, they found a male individual who had sustained gunshot wounds. Although officers at the scene rendered aid and summoned medical personnel, the male was pronounced deceased at the scene.South Bend Police Department officers secured both the shooting scene located at the intersection of College and Orange Streets and the scene located in the 1000 block of N. Brookfield Street.The St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Unit is currently handling the investigation.The male who died at the scene has been identified as Fredrick L. Williams, 16, of South Bend.Anybody with information is asked to contact the St. Joseph County Metro Homicide Unit at 574-235-5009 or Crime Stoppers at 288-STOP.(Photo supplied/ABC 57) Facebook Previous articleColder weather means increased danger due to space heatersNext articleElves For Elders Still Serving Community At Safe Social Distance Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney. By Jon Zimney – October 18, 2020 0 821 Pinterest Facebook WhatsApp
Beloit, Kan., veteran Larry Sutton is competing at his 11th IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s. (IMCA Photo) “I just like the competition, working on cars and racing the cars,” he said. “It’s exciting when you build your own car and do well with it.” What he enjoys about Super Nationals is the friends old and new and the challenge of the track. BOONE, Iowa – Larry Sutton was ecstatic to watch son Tyler qualify for the Modified main event at last year’s IMCA Speedway Motors Super Nationals fueled by Casey’s. The 35-year veteran would be almost as happy to match that accomplishment at the 37th annual event. “Tyler had a real good week last year and I was ecstatic to see him qualify. It was the greatest feeling in the world,” said Sutton, from Beloit, Kan. “It would be great if I made it in this year, knowing that would be two years in a row we made it.” “Qualifying would be another notch in longevity. It would show I still have some talent at this age,” he said. “There are a lot of good cars and a lot of talent out there these days.” A regular at Salina Speedway, Sutton is in his 33rd year in an IMCA Modified. This is his 11th trip to Boone Speedway to be part of America’s Racin’ Vacation.
Defender Ifeanyi Anaemena scored two headers in the derby Aba fans thoroughly enjoyed with relish.In between Anaemena’s headers which were the first and last goals of the game, Jean-Marie Guera doubled Enyimba’s lead in the 18th minute while Godwin Aguda halved the deficit for Rangers four minutes into the second half. Anaemena’s second in the 60th minute was timely as it ensured that the People’s Elephant inflict a priceless defeat on their table-topping opponents, their third in consecutive games while reducing the gap between both teams to three points.At the Agege Stadium, Rivers United came unstuck in Lagos as an early Chijioke Akuneto penalty handed MFM FC a 1-0 victory. Rivers United dominated the clash but failed to translate their superiority to goals.The hosts started briskly and were awarded a penalty in the third minute. Akuneto stepped up and fired low and hard into the bottom corner to give the the hosts the lead.The visitors then took over, dominating the rest of the half and indeed, the game but failed to convert their chances at the opportune moments.Head coach of MFM, Fidelis Ilechukwu conceded that the visitors had the better chances and probably deserved more than they got on the day.“Rivers United is a fantastic side. It’s all about converting chances.“The only problem they had today was about their strikers putting the ball in the back of the net.“But talking about the quality (that they possess), they are a perfect team,” Ilechukwu said.Rivers United dropped to seventh place on the log, following Sunday’s defeat in Lagos, with a total of 23 points from 17 games while MFM moved up to third on the log with 27 points from 17 games.Rivers United will next face Enyimba in Port Harcourt in their next league game on Wednesday, May 8.The story was also a sweet one for the host in Katsina. Katsina United survived a second half blitz by Remo Stars to win 3-2 at the Muhammad Dikko Stadium.The win takes the Changi Boys to fifth on the Group A log, three points below third-placed MFM leaving them with an outside chance of nicking one of the playoff spots.But the Abdullahi Biffo-tutored Katsina endured a nervy end to secure maximum points.After dominating proceedings in the first half, they switched off in the second as the visitors had a field day.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Duro IkhazuagbeFormer champions, Enyimba FC narrowed the gap between them and Rangers International FC of Enugu to just three points yesterday when the Flying Antelopes were brought down to earth in a 3-1 defeat in a Nigeria Professional Football League Oriental Derby played in Aba.