Cheap and cheerful

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Spanish priest dies of Ebola

first_img 45 Views   no discussions HealthInternationalLifestylePrint Spanish priest dies of Ebola by: – August 12, 2014 A health worker examines patients for Ebola inside a screening tent, at the Kenema Government Hospital situated in the Eastern Province around 300 km, (186 miles), from the capital city of Freetown in Kenema, Sierra Leone.MADRID, Spain (AP) — A Spanish missionary priest being treated for Ebola died Tuesday in a Madrid hospital amid a worldwide debate over who should get experimental Ebola treatments.After a meeting with medical experts, the World Health Organization declared it is ethical to use unproven Ebola drugs and vaccines in the current outbreak in West Africa provided the right conditions are met. Its statement, however, sidestepped the key questions of who should get the limited drugs and how that should be decided.Two more experimental Ebola treatments were reportedly heading Tuesday to Liberia to be used on two infected doctors — the first Africans to receive the untested drug.The UN health agency says 1,013 people have died so far in the Ebola outbreak in West Africa and authorities have recorded 1,848 suspected or confirmed cases. The killer virus, spread by direct contact with bodily fluids like blood, diarrhea and vomit, was detected in Guinea in March and has since spread to Sierra Leone, Liberia and possibly Nigeria.Two Americans and reportedly the Spanish priest who died had gotten an experimental Ebola treatment never tested in humans. But the vast majority of Ebola victims have been Africans, and some have protested that their citizens are not getting access to the novel drugs.“We can’t afford to be passive while many more die,” said Aisha Dab, a Senegalese-Gambian journalist who was tweeting using the hashtag “GiveUsTheSerum.” ”That’s why we raise our voice for the world to hear us.”The Spanish missionary, 75-year-old Miguel Parajes, died in Madrid’s Carlos III Hospital, the hospital and his order said. The hospital would not confirm that he had been treated with the drug, but his order and Spain’s Health Ministry said earlier that he would be. His body will be cremated Wednesday to avoid any further public health risks, the hospital said.Parajes had worked for the San Juan de Dios hospital order, a Spain-based Catholic humanitarian group, and had been helping to treat people with Ebola in Liberia when he became ill and was evacuated.WHO decided it is ethical to use experimental treatments and vaccines in an ongoing outbreak even though there’s no evidence yet that these experimental drugs can actually help fight Ebola — and it is possible they could be harmful. Still, this outbreak has had about a 50 percent death rate, according to the U.N., adding urgency to the search for a treatment.“In the particular circumstances of this outbreak and provided certain conditions are met, the panel reached consensus that it is ethical to offer unproven interventions with as yet unknown efficacy and adverse effects, as potential treatment or prevention,” the agency said.The panel said “more detailed analysis and discussion” are needed to decide how to achieve fair distribution in communities and among countries, since there is an extremely limited supply of the experimental drugs and vaccines.WHO also said the world had “a moral duty” to properly collect evidence about the untested treatment’s safety and effectiveness in a proper scientific trial.West African nations are struggling to control both the deadly outbreak and the fear it has engendered. Most airlines flying in and out of the Liberian capital of Monrovia have suspended flights amid the unprecedented health crisis.The Ivory Coast, which shares borders with Liberia and Guinea, banned direct flights from those countries and said it would increase health inspections at its borders.Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf suspended all travel by executive branch officials for one month on Tuesday. She also ordered those already abroad to return home within a week “or be considered as abandoning their jobs,” according to a statement.A UK-based public relations firm representing Liberia said the experimental Ebola treatment would be arriving within the next 48 hours to treat the two Liberian physicians.“The two doctors gave their consent, themselves being medical professionals, for the drug to be administered,” the statement said. “The drugmaker has agreed to supply a sufficient amount of this drug only for these two patients.”Turkey’s health ministry, meanwhile, said a passenger from Nigeria was hospitalized Tuesday after arriving at Istanbul airport with a high fever. It said medical workers did not know if she had Ebola but were taking precautions. The Turkish Airlines plane, which was supposed to travel onto Barcelona, was being disinfected.Associated Presslast_img read more

Pele Unveils Unique Shell-installed Player-powered Energy Challenge

first_imgThe tile technology used to refurbish the pitches and power Pelé’s Energy Challenge is the invention of young British entrepreneur and founder of Pavegen, Laurence Kemball-Cook, who has been supported through Shell LiveWIRE programme.In 2014, Shell and Pelé joined forces to launch the world’s first player powered community football pitch in Rio de Janeiro.The Lagos pitch was then opened in 2015 with the support of solar entrepreneur and global music superstar Akon; showing the local communities what can be achieved when bright energy ideas are put into action.The activity at Make the Future London celebrates these launches and reinforces the importance of turning entrepreneurial ideas into reality.Pelé said on the launch, “I’ve seen first-hand how Shell has brought bright energy ideas to life, having helped launch the first kinetic pitch in Rio. And I’ve seen how this amazing technology has reinvigorated the community, allowing Brazilian children to follow their passion in sport and learn about future energy solutions in the process. I’m so excited to be here again and see the legacy of these pitches – how they continue to be used every day – while testing out this new energy challenge at Make the Future London.”Commented Managing Director of The Shell petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Ltd (SDPDC) and Country Chair, Shell Companies in Nigeria, Osagie Okunbor, said: “The tile device at Akoka is not just another football pitch. It is a powerful statement on the kind of energy ideas that Shell and SPDC have been promoting in Nigeria. We are confident that Nigerian youths will take advantage of our LiveWIRE programme and launch bright energy ideas that will help to better the lives of millions of Nigerians.”The LiveWIRE programme was launched in Nigeria in 2003, and has since enabled young entrepreneurs to convert ideas into real businesses that create products or services as well as employment to the community.Today, LiveWIRE supports Nigeria’s National Youth Policy by encouraging and training young people to start their own businesses by providing start-up funds. To date, the programme has trained 6,200 youths in enterprise development and management, and provided business start-up grants to 3,100.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Shell-installed kinetic football pitch at the Federal College of Education (Technical) Akoka, Lagos was in the spotlight again yesterday as football legend Pelé teamed up with the oil and gas major company to bring together Africa and Europe in a first of its kind player-powered energy game; Pelé’s Energy Challenge.The event helped launched ‘Make the Future London’, a festival of ideas and innovation dedicated to supporting bright energy ideas and providing a platform for innovation, collaboration and conversation about the global energy issues facing the world of today.Pelé’s Energy Challenge showcased the power of innovative kinetic tile technology that converts footsteps into renewable electricity.The challenge featured two teams that comprised children from London and Lagos linked up via satellite. The more energy a player generated on the tiles the more time they had to compete, directly linking the technology to the task. Shell previously installed kinetic football pitches in Rio and Lagos, providing a safe environment for the communities to play, with floodlights powered by the players and solar panels.last_img read more

Former Jets quarterback Christian Hackenberg attempting a comeback — as a pitcher

first_imgHack is back.Christian Hackenberg, the former second-round draft pick of the New York Jets, is attempting a comeback — not as an NFL quarterback, but as a pitcher. Christian Hackenberg is now trying to become a pitcher“I’ve had my trials and tribulations with the NFL”“I’m sitting here at 25. I feel like I have a lot left in the tank”@rkuestnernbc10 with the story. See how fast @chackenberg1 can throw @NBCPhiladelphia 620pm— John Clark (@JClarkNBCS) June 13, 2020″As simple as I can put it, I just want to compete, man,” Hackenberg said. “I’ve had my trials and tribulations with the NFL and had success and had that roller-coaster ride. “At the end of the day, I’m sitting here at 25, and for me, like I said, I feel like I got a lot left in the tank.”Known for his big arm and prototypical size at the QB position more than his accuracy, Hackenberg seems to have some life and heat left in his right arm, topping 90 mph in this video:Look at Christian Hackenberg throwing over 90 mph. #Jets— Robby Sabo (@RobbySabo) June 13, 2020The former Penn State Nittany Lion scorched backpage headlines in 2016 when the Jets selected him with pick No. 51 in the NFL Draft. Hackenberg would never see the field with the Jets, being released after the 2017 season.He would try and latch on with the Raiders, Eagles and Bengals, but couldn’t stick, seeing time only as a camp body during those stays.He spent some time in the AAF in 2019 as the quarterback of the Memphis Express. Hackenberg was a highly touted quarterback recruit coming out of high school and played some high school baseball, striking out 30 in 47 games and hitting .378 across three years of hardball.Hackenberg, though, would see massive struggles in the pro game, never seeing regular-season action in the NFL amidst serious accuracy issues. While he has no recorded regular-season stats, Hackenberg reportedly once pelted a New York Jets beat writer along the sideline with an errant pass on at least one occasion.Well, with no set timetable for the return of MLB, Hackenberg has plenty of time to get into the best shape of his life.last_img read more

South Florida Doctor’s Family Searches for Recovered Coronavirus Patient to Donate Blood Plasma

first_imgA longtime South Florida doctor is now fighting for his own life, after catching the very disease he was treating in others.Dr. Vladimir Laroche has practiced internal medicine for nearly 40 years. Recently, he was hospitalized at Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center with the novel coronavirus.His brother, Paul Laroche, says Dr. Laroche had quickly adjusted to his new role as front-line medical staff during the pandemic when he suddenly began to feel symptoms. The virus is attacking his lungs, which has led to him being intubated and depending on a ventilator in the intensive care unit.“He almost died yesterday and at this point, his last saving chance is to get the plasma transfusion,” Paul Laroche adds, referring to convalescent serum therapy, which is being considered as a potential COVID-19 treatment that depends on a supply of blood plasma from survivors of the disease who developed antibodies capable of neutralizing the virus.Hospitals and blood banks across the country are now collecting, isolating, and processing the blood plasma. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued emergency authorization for the convalescent serum therapy last month.“We started looking for plasma and plasma donors because the demand is so high and the supply is so short,” says Paul Laroche.Photo courtesy: FoundCare/FacebookDr. Laroche’s colleagues at FoundCare Health Center are assisting the family with the search. Dr. Laroche reportedly needs a cup of the serum. For every donor, two to four patients can be treated.Since there are no proven therapies or vaccines to date for COVID-19, some doctors believe the passive-antibody therapy, which has been used before to treat a similar disease, can control the coronavirus for the time being.OneBlood, which is a blood donation center that serves South Florida, recently announced that Miami Mayor Francis Suarez was the first COVID-19 survivor in Florida to become a convalescent plasma donor.A OneBlood spokeswoman says prospective donors must be eligible to give blood, have a verified positive diagnosis, remain symptom-free for at least 14 days and have a confirmed negative test.last_img read more

Jacob Libby Pursues His Lifelong Dream to Fly with Gusto

first_imgBy Gail WoodThis is where Jacob Libby’s inspiring story begins, in the cockpit of a single-engine airplane.At age eight, Libby, sitting next to his dad in the co-pilot’s seat, has his hands on the plane’s controls. He’s flying the plane for the first time, doing something as a second grader few adults ever do.Jacob Libby earned his pilot’s license on his 16th birthday. Now 27, Libby is a professional pilot.“My son has always been infatuated with flying,” said Nick Libby, Jacob’s father.But Jacob’s infatuation didn’t stop with a dream. He’s achieved. Like few others ever have.By the time Jacob graduated from North Thurston High School in 2004, he was already a licensed flight instructor, the youngest in the entire country.  After school, Jacob headed each day to the Olympia Airport to teach. One of his students was a 52-year-old man.On his 16th birthday, Jacob soloed in his dad’s 150 Cessna, earning him his pilot’s license. Because he didn’t have his driver’s license yet, his mom drove him to the Olympia Airport that day. After he soloed, she then drove him home for dinner.With his eyes on the end goal – his dream was to become a corporate pilot – Jacob went to the airport nearly every day throughout high school. Stormy weather was about the only thing that kept him on the ground.But sometimes even on those bad weather days, he’d fly because his students needed to fly in bad weather to earn their instrument rating.“He became obsessed with flying,” Nick said.By the time Jacob graduated from high school, he already had 1,200 hours flying time. He was only 18. It was the most flight hours for someone his age in the world.“I worked my butt off,” Jacob said.Jacob Libby earned his hot air balloon rating at age 22.He sacrificed a lot. Instead of hanging out at the neighbor’s house, playing video games with friends or watching TV – doing kid things – Jacob flew.“I had a lot of friends who wanted to be a pilot,” Jacob said. “But it takes a lot of work, a lot of studying.”Initially, his friends were drawn by the fun – flying. But they turned away when they saw the work. But Jacob stayed on task. Since his dad was a flight instructor and had his own plane, Jacob had both the teacher and the access.“I never pushed him,” Nick said. “It’s just something he always wanted to do.”After high school, Jacob had another dream-come-true moment when he was accepted to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach. Jacob was granted an exception to take the class online, allowing him to stay in Olympia and continue his flight instruction classes for three students.At 20, Jacob got another amazing opportunity when he was hired to be the chief pilot of a cooperate airplane owned by two local businessmen. Flying a twin engine Beechcraft King Air, Jacob flew all over the West Coast.When he was still 18, Jacob got his commercial C plan rating. When he turned 19, he earned his commercial glider rating. At 22, he was granted his commercial hot air balloon rating. At 23, he got his certificate to fly the Ford Ty motor, which is the oldest airliner in the world.Jacob Libby is a third generation pilot.Also at 23, he got his glider instructor license. At 24, he got his commercial gyro plane flight instructor certification. At 25, he received his Boeing 737 captain’s license.To get his his captain’s license, Jacob “flew” in a simulator, a mock instructional machine that simulates flying a 737 jet. It has the same control panel, cockpit and a computerized image of the scenery.  Jacob got a break when he was able to use the Alaska Airlines simulator at Boeing Field. Jacob’s instructor had approval to do the ride alongs and testing portions of the training.Jacob realized another lifelong dream when at age 26 he was hired to be a commercial pilot. He was hired by Compass Airline, which is owned by Delta Airlines, and flew out of Minneapolis, Minn., across the U.S. Not wanting to move from Olympia, Jacob commuted from SeaTac Airport to Minneapolis to start his work day. He’d work three days and then return home.Jacob’s infatuation with earning certifications hasn’t ended. In early December, he was up in a helicopter working on his helicopter certifications. He’s doing his training flights in Bremerton. To get there, he flies, cutting his commute time for the 90-mile trip.When he graduated from high school, Jacob Libby had 1,200 hours flying time. He was only 18 and it was the most flight hours for someone his age in the world.In June, Jacob, now 27, got another dream job when he was hired to fly a cooperate jet for a big cooperation in Seattle. Of the 5,000 applicants for one position, Jacob got the offer.“I’m really the luckiest pilot in the country,” Jacob said.Perhaps. But Jacob has also worked like no one else in the country. With his new job, two weeks ago, he flew to Finland. He was supposed to fly to Brazil last week but the flight was canceled. In the next couple of weeks, he’ll fly to Alaska and another crew will take the passengers to Hong Kong. There’s a trip to Chile that he hopes to take in the next couple of weeks.“I’ve been so consumed by this for the last 10 years,” Jacob said. “But I haven’t lost my excitement.”Jacob is a third generation pilot. His grandfather, Nick’s dad, got his pilot’s license in 1949 in Olympia. Nick earned his pilot’s license when he was 18.“I’m proud of him,” said Nick, who flew for Federal Express. “He’s worked hard. It’s quite an accomplishment.” Facebook265Tweet0Pin0last_img read more

Sea Bright Police, First Aid Headquarters and Firehouse To Be Demolished

first_imgSea Bright Borough officials are looking to demolish the storm-damaged century-old police headquarters and firehouse and replace them with new buildings. Photo courtesy Christopher ClarityTHE BOROUGH COUNCIL, at its regular meeting on April 7, passed a resolution that authorized advertising to obtain bids to for the demolition of the firehouse and the police headquarters.Because of damage the buildings received during Super Storm Sandy in October, 2012, the fire and police departments have been operating out of temporary quarters.The police headquarters are in trailers located near the old office and the fire department is on South Street.In a March, 2014 interview, Police Chief John Sorrentino said of the police department and first aid headquarters that “We found mold in the floor and in the walls.”“Every wall in this building had water in it from Sandy. The roof leaked from Sandy. The water came in the doors from Sandy,” he said.Sorrentino said that the main part of the building that housed the police and first aid building is about 100 years old with additions around 80 years old.The firehouse was condemned after building officials said it was unsafe to be occupied.Borough Administrator Joseph Verunni said Wednesday that plans call for two new buildings, the expected cost of which would be about $11 million. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) would pay up to 90 percent of the cost, he said.Sea Bright Fire Dept. building. Photo courtesy Christopher ClarityOne building would be placed on the foot- print of the existing firehouse, Verunni said, and would contain the fire department and police headquarters. The other would serve as a community center and contain facilities for the beach, including rest rooms and lifeguard quarters, and public meeting rooms and the town’s library, he said.The total new space would be 5,000 square feet for the beach building and 9,500 square feet for the other building, according to Verunni.He said this would be less than the footage of the four buildings; the firehouse, police headquar ters, the librar y and the beach pavil- ion that were being replaced.The new buildings, Verunni said, would have to conform to FEMA requirements. They have “to go up in the air on pilings,” he said, and the utilities will be run from the top down.He said the future of the existing Borough Hall is still under discussion.The large room in the Borough Hall that was previously used for community meetings is no longer available since Sandy, Verunni said, because the borough staff for the many services that are now needed because of the storm is now using it. The room has to be locked at night, he said for both privacy and security reasons since public records are being stored there.Verunni said that there would be about an 18 month to two-year period before the new buildings would be in service.last_img read more

West Kootenay athletes score medal haul at B.C. Seniors Games

first_imgThe team of Rene Forrest, Lee McNeill, Rusty Denny, Blaine Rains and Linc Vital won the team bronze. Lee McNeill added silver for female high pins over average and bronze for female high single over average. Rains won the silver for male high pins over average. Jack Parr captured the bronze for male high pins over average.Marylee Banyard won a handful of medals in the pool, finishing the games with three bronze, two silver and a gold in women’s 75-79 individual medley.Badminton star Roger Kerby won bronze in competitive singles while Clint Saunders captured the bronze in track and field, finishing third in men’s 70-74 javelin. Wife Barb Saunders won four gold on the track while adding a silver medal in the women’s 70-74 200 meters. The gold medals came in 400, 800, 1500 and 5000 meter races.Elizabeth Zemmels won a pair of silver medals in tennis.Golfers Lee Waddell and Lorraine May each won gold in their respective age groups. George Forrest, John Kazakoff, John Van Loon and William Kalyniuk also won net gold medals on the links. Jim Mattice took home a bronze for his gross score.On two wheels, B.C. Senior Games’ rookie Mike Adams won gold, silver and bronze while Olwyn Ringheim won a pair of gold medals in women’s 80-84 category.The 2011 B.C. Seniors Games in the West Kootenay is scheduled for August 16-20.Athletes 55 years and older compete in more than 25 sports from badminton to bocce and slo-pitch to [email protected] By The Nelson Daily SportsIf this keeps up the West Kootenay Boundary Zone Six athletes will no doubt be challenging for top spot when the B.C. Seniors Games rolls into Trail/Castlegar/Nelson in August of 2011.The zone shot up the medal standings like a rocket to record its best finish in years with a whopping 111 medals during the 2010 B.C. Seniors Games Sept. 15-18 in Comox and Campbell River.Vancouver Island North won the overall title with 479 medals. In second was the team from the Fraser Valley followed in third by Lower Mainland. West Kootenay Boundary placed sixth overall.Headlining the medal parade was the bowling team from the Savoy Lanes.The team of Lola Swetlikoe, Audrey Kempin, Jack Parr, Effie Raines, Dawn Williams and spare Lorna Hamilton racked up the gold medal. Williams added a gold as high single at 267 and bronze for female high pins over average.last_img read more

Sockeyes capture fifth Cyclone Cup; Rebels rally to claim bronze

first_imgIn the end a team that had won four provincial championships was clearly the best team.The Richmond Sockeyes scored four goals in the second period to dump the Victoria Cougars 4-1 to clinch the 2013 Fred “Cyclone” Taylor Cup Sunday at the Comox Valley Sports Centre.The Pacific Junior League champions won its fifth Cyclone Taylor Cup to go with past titles from 2009, 2004, 2003 and 1992.In 2009 Richmond beat Nelson Leafs in the Cyclone Final.The Castlegar Rebels defeated host Comox Valley 5-4 to win the bronze medal.The Rebels finished the round robin with a 1-2 mark. Trailing 1-0 after the opening period the Sockeyes went to work scoring four times in an 11-minute span.Richmond out shot the Cougars 25-18 in the game.The Sockeyes advance to the Keystone Cup Western Canadian championships April 17-21 in St. Malo, Man.In the bronze medal match, the Rebels, still smarting from a 3-2 loss Saturday against the Sockeyes, started out slow as Comox Valley built a 3-0 lead six minutes into the contest.But goals by Jamie Vlanich, his first of two in the contest, and Kody Disher started the comeback for Castlegar.Vlanich, Erik Alden and Travis Wellman, the latter two coming on the power play in the second period, gave Castlegar a 5-3 lead after 40 minutes.Castlegar then kept up the pressure on the Glacier Kings to secure the bronze medal.The Rebels out shot the Kings 47-21 to make a winner out of netminder Connor Beauchamp.Some Junior B grads who have gone on to successful careers in the National Hockey League include the likes of Jamie Benn, Ryan O’Byrne, Matt Irwin, Clayton Stoner, Shea Weber, Andrew Ladd, Karl Alzner, Colton Gillies, Milan Lucic, Kyle Turris, Jason Garrison, Barret Jackman, Brad Larsen of the Nelson Leafs and Brent Seabrook.last_img read more

Temple Athletic Director leaves for same job at Boston College

first_img“We are grateful to Pat for all that he has done,” Englert wrote in the statement. “I wish Pat, Betsy, and their wonderful family every success in their new phase of their lives. But wherever they go, they will always be members of the Temple family.” Temple University Athletic Director Patrick Kraft is leaving Temple to become the Athletic Director at Boston College in Newton, Massachusetts. Kraft spent five years as Temple’s athletic director after serving as the Deputy Director of Athletics for two years. Temple University President Richard Englert wrote he was “sadden” by the news of Kraft leaving for Boston College in a statement. In 2015, Kraft oversaw Temple football when they started the season 7-0 and played host to ESPN’s College Gameday when they matched up against Notre Dame University at Lincoln Financial Field. The game sold out and was ABC’s highest-rated college football game in Philadelphia. During his tenure, Temple’s athletes earned a number of academic achievements.center_img Student-athletes had a record nine consecutive semesters with a combined GPA of 3.10 or higher and a record 15 straight semesters above at least a 3.0.  “Pat has been extraordinarily successful in his seven years here and Temple athletics has been run with enthusiasm and integrity, making us all proud Owls,” he wrote. Kraft agreed to stay with Temple through July 1 to help with the transition to a new Athletic Director, according to the statement.last_img read more