With other universities making announcements regarding the 2020 fall semester, the Office of the President said in an email to faculty that while there are no definite plans at this time, an update will be provided by mid-June.The University has created several groups which will work together to plan for the reopening of campus, the email signed by University President Fr. John Jenkins, Provost Thomas Burish and provost-elect Marie Lynn Miranda said. The Academic Year Continuity Working Group will consider alternative approaches for the start of the academic year. “Given the uncertainty about future conditions, the Working Group members are developing plans that maximize flexibility, considering factors such as the start date of the academic year, modes of delivery of instruction, and options for making changes during the course of the year as circumstances change,” the email said.According to the email, in “crafting a response to the disruption wrought by the current crisis, we will be guided by our central University goals, found here, and some of the principles they imply.”The Research Task Force, headed by Bob Bernhard, vice president for research, will create plans for reopening labs, libraries and studios.To determine the steps necessary to bring the Notre Dame community back to campus, the Working Group will consider advice from experts in medicine, public health and epidemiology. This may include extensive diagnostics and immunity testing, contact tracing and quarantining students as necessary, the email said.A Faculty Advisory Committee will also help evaluate plans and offer recommendations which will be relayed to University President Fr. John Jenkins.As information regarding the virus and its transmission continue to change, the email said the predictions are still uncertain.“We can take encouragement from the devotion and incredible work being done by health care providers and scientific researchers worldwide — including here on Notre Dame’s campus,” the email said. “Nevertheless, at present, we cannot be sure when and if drugs will be developed to treat those with the virus, when tests for the virus and antibodies will be widely available, or when an effective vaccine will be found.”Tags: COVID-19, in-person classes, John Jenkins, Thomas Burish
from $57.50 View Comments The shining, shimmering, splendid Aladdin is heading Down Under! The hit Broadway musical will open in Sydney, Australia, at the Capitol Theatre in August 2016. Other previously reported international destinations for Aladdin include the U.K., Japan and Germany.Adapted from the 1992 Disney animated film, Aladdin is the story of a street urchin who uses the help of a magic Genie to win the heart of Princess Jasmine. Directed and choreographed by Casey Nicholaw, the production features a book by Chad Beguelin, music by Alan Menken and lyrics by Tim Rice, Beguelin and the late Howard Ashman.Aladdin is currently running on Broadway at the New Amsterdam Theatre. The production officially opened on March 20, 2014, starring Adam Jacobs as Aladdin, Courtney Reed as Jasmine, Tony winner James Monroe Iglehart as the Genie and Jonathan Freeman as Jafar.Of course, Aladdin is not the first Disney show to go global—discover your favorites in languages from all over here. Aladdin Related Shows
On the Blogs: Texas Acknowledges a Sea Change in Its Solar Outlook FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Mike Jacobs for the Union of Concerned Scientists:Something unprecedented just happened on the renewable energy front in Texas that is likely to reverberate in energy markets across the country.ERCOT, the entity that manages the flow of electric power to some 24 million Texas customers, representing about 90 percent of the state’s electric load, has posted its predictions of where the state will be able to find the cheapest electricity over the next 15 years. Insiders knew this was brewing, and a formal discussion in planning circles is scheduled for June 21.As it usually does, ERCOT looked at a range of scenarios. The group mapped potential bulk power purchases from 2017 to 2031 under six different scenarios, including low gas prices, high economic growth, etc. And here’s the part that marks a momentous tipping point: solar power emerged as a clear economic winner in the state in all seven scenarios. In other words, ERCOT is saying that the price of solar power in Texas is now low enough that it predicts no other power plant types will be built.It’s hard to overstate what a remarkable change this under-the-radar industry assessment represents. First of all, this happened in Texas, where competition to supply electricity is unfettered, and existing power plants have no guarantees or privileged status. In this environment, ERCOT is showing that solar is priced low enough to beat the cost of other new plants.ERCOT’s predictions follow several reports that Texas solar projects have sold energy at ground-breaking low prices. Certainly, Texas benefits from the wide expanses of land and ample sun, but it is just a matter of time and good business development before similar economics take hold in other states as well.So, one effect of the ERCOT predictions will surely be to increase the pressure on policy makers not to shield existing fossil-fuel generation from healthy competition.Full item: Solar Power Plants are the Future of Texas Power. Every Time.
Construction begins on Scotland’s first subsidy-free onshore wind farm FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Clean Technica:Independent Scottish developer Muirhall Energy announced on Monday that construction has begun at the Crossdykes Wind Farm, an important step in the company’s effort to deliver Scotland’s first subsidy-free onshore wind project.The 46 megawatt (MW) Crossdykes Wind Farm, being developed at Dumfries and Galloway, in the western Southern Uplands of Scotland, is expected to produce first power in September 2020. Muirhall Energy and its partners WWS Renewables reached financial close on the project in August — believed to be the first subsidy-free development to be project-financed, thanks to funding from Close Brothers Leasing and wind turbines to be supplied by Nordex. “We are delighted to be starting construction on what will be one of the first subsidy-free developments to come online in the UK,” said Chris Walker, Managing Director of Muirhall Energy.The milestone of construction start and the potential of delivering Scotland’s first subsidy-free onshore wind project comes despite a complete lack of support from the U.K. Government.“Access to the Contract for Difference or some other support mechanism would make a huge difference to the economics of the sector, encouraging the build-out of some of the more challenging consented sites, therefore ensuring onshore wind makes the biggest possible contribution to meeting our net zero climate change targets whilst keeping bills down for consumers,” explained Chris Walker.More: Scottish developers announce subsidy-free onshore wind farm
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Canadian Underwriter:Starting next year, Axis Capital Holdings Ltd. will stop writing new insurance and facultative reinsurance for oil sands extraction and pipeline projects.Pembroke, Bermuda-based Axis writes commercial specialty and reinsurance. Its new thermal coal and oil sands underwriting and investment policy takes effect Jan. 1, Axis Capital said Wednesday in a release.“AXIS will not provide new insurance or facultative reinsurance for the construction of new thermal coal plants or mines and their dedicated infrastructure or oil sands extraction and pipeline projects and their dedicated infrastructure; or to companies that generate 30% or more of their revenues from thermal coal mining, generate 30% or more of their power from thermal coal, or hold more than 20% of their reserves in oil sands,” the insurer said. “Renewals will be considered on a case-by-case basis until Jan. 1, 2023. Exceptions to this policy may be considered on a limited basis until Jan. 1, 2025 in countries where sufficient access to alternative energy sources is not available.”The announcement comes less than a week after Canadian Underwriter obtained a memo that purports to be a “CrossLine Alert,” issued for internal users only, from Munich Re. In that memo – which Munich Re has neither confirmed nor denied to be authentic – the insurer says facultative reinsurance covers and primary insurance business, including renewals, will no longer be signed for the planning, financing, construction of new oil sand sites. “We believe insurers have an important role to play in mitigating climate risk and transitioning to a low-carbon economy,” Axis Capital CEO Albert Benmichol stated Wednesday in a release.As a result of global warming, Canada will have more frequent heat waves, droughts and precipitation events, Insurance Bureau of Canada CEO Don Forgeron said Apr. 25 at IBC’s annual general meeting.More: Another insurer to withdraw coverage from oil sands Axis Capital to exit coal, oil sands insurance business
The National Association of Family and Small Hotels, an umbrella association that brings together small hoteliers and represents their specific interests, presented a new modern website with a list of all small family hotels – www.omh.hrSmall and family hotels are annoying a lot in our market and are at a disadvantage. They are mostly hampered by legislation, categorization and minimum conditions, parafiscal and local levies, and unfavorable financial conditions for day-to-day development. “The adventure is more and more dangerous and risky. When we talk about investing in small and family hotels, it is most profitable to invest in apartments for rent, and not small and family hotels.”Pointed out Šime Klarić, president of OMH, and added that the Law on Small and Family Hotels should finally be adopted.12 years ago, OMH made an official document with a list of what hinders their development, which was submitted to the Ministry of Tourism, but to date there have been no changes. The only thing that has changed is VAT in catering. Today, OMH, in its regular and associate membership, has 146 hotels and 66 high-quality boarding houses and agro-households from all over Croatia, representing a financially independent interest group.The National Association of Family and Small Hotels (OMH) was founded in 2004, driven by the need of a growing number of small hoteliers for an association that will represent their specific interests and enable the continuous improvement of the quality of their offer. The mission of the OMH Association is to bring together the best family and small hotels in Croatia, which are characterized by uniqueness, recognizable quality and authenticity, providing guests with a unique experience.Personally, I think that small and family hotels are the future of our development and a solution for extending the season, ie seasonality, because large hotels cannot be opened out of season due to high costs of cold drive, while small and family hotels certainly can. Also, small and family hotels sell an authentic story, exactly what the motive of the trip is.
Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionFlag statements don’t dishonor the countryThe flag and anthem are more than symbols of patriotism and the military. The flag is a symbol of freedom for all citizens.And when some citizens feel the flag does not fly over them with the same resonance that it flies over others, then making that statement in the presence of the flag is what should be done.It doesn’t dishonor the flag or the military. Rather, it states that all citizens have an equal right to the same level of freedom, and no political son of a bee should defame the First Amendment. It’s for the First Amendment and other fundamental rights that our forefathers fought, sacrificed and died. To denigrate free speech is to dishonor the flag and the military. It’s to hurl insult at our heritage. The First Amendment is why these very words can be written and shared. Without freedom in our country, the flag is no more than colored cloth blowing in the wind. Now we see that some are more interested in stirring up conflict than they are in offering condolences to the grief-stricken families whose loved ones paid the ultimate price for our freedom. Shame. Humpty Trumpty sat on a wall.Humpty Trumpty was vindictive to all.All his advisers. And all of his men.Dreaded the moment he would tweet once again.Glenn WiteckiSchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:Motorcyclist injured in Thursday afternoon Schenectady crashSchenectady’s Lucas Rodriguez forging his own path in dance, theater, musicSchenectady NAACP calls for school layoff freeze, reinstatement of positionsSchenectady police reform sessions pivot to onlineFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
“It’s very difficult to know exactly where we stand at the moment. It’s clear that the outcome has not been good in the UK ..,” Patrick Vallance told lawmakers, adding that some countries had done worse.”There will be things, decisions made, that will turn out not to have been the right decisions at the time, I’m sure about that as well.”He said the advice to introduce stringent lockdown measures was made when the rate at which the epidemic doubled increased to three days from six or seven days beforehand, but added that such advice could only be given once the data came in.Heath Secretary Matt Hancock, questioned about Vallance’s assertion that scientific advisers had recommended measures be taken earlier, told lawmakers the lockdown had started on March 16, rather than a week later when Johnson told Britons they must stay at home.”The 16th of March is the day I came to this House and said all unnecessary social contact should cease,” he said. “That is precisely when the lockdown was started.”Vallance said there were “pretty strong hints” the new coronavirus was seasonal and could return in future years.”What we’re dealing with now is a suppressed first wave,” he said. “I think it’s quite probable that we will see this virus coming back in different waves over a number of years.”Topics : Britain has not achieved a good outcome in dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic, the government’s chief scientific adviser said on Thursday, adding that he was sure mistakes had been made.Britain has the highest COVID-19 death toll in Europe, which, including deaths from suspected cases, is nearly 56,000 according to a Reuters tally of official data sources.Prime Minister Boris Johnson ordered a lockdown on March 23, though a former member of the government’s scientific advisory group has said that introducing measures a week earlier could have halved the death toll.
The Minuteman III has been the only surface-to-air missile in the US nuclear arsenal since 2005. It is installed at bases in Wyoming, North Dakota and Montana.Trident nuclear missiles are deployed on US submarines, and US strategic bombers also carry nuclear devices. The United States on Tuesday successfully tested an unarmed Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) in a launch directed from an airborne command center, the Air Force said.The missile was launched at 12:21 am (0721 GMT) from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, travelling 6,700 kilometers (4,200 miles) over the Pacific Ocean before landing in the sea near the Marshall Islands.”The test demonstrates that the United States’ nuclear deterrent is safe, secure, reliable and effective,” the Air Force said in a statement. “Airmen… were aboard the US Navy E-6 aircraft to demonstrate the reliability and effectiveness” of the airborne launch control system, it said.Colonel Omar Colbert, commander of 576th Flight Test Squadron, said “the Minuteman III is 50 years old, and continued test launches are essential.””This visible message of national security serves to assure our allies and dissuade potential aggressors,” he said.The Air Force added that test launches were “not a response or reaction to world events or regional tensions.” Topics :