Reports claim Austin would prefer to remain in London

first_imgA round-up of the latest transfer speculation involving Chelsea and QPR…Speculation continues over the future of Charlie Austin after QPR rejected a £12m bid from Leicester.Rangers want £15m for the striker and Leicester’s bid was the first offer or approach they have had for Austin despite numerous reports of them receiving both.Newcastle were previously tipped to capture Austin but no move has materialised. However, the north-east media still insist Magpies boss Steve McClaren is in the running to sign him.The Northern Echo say Newcastle are ready to battle for Austin’s signing but the newspaper believes he would rather stay in London and join West Ham.Newcastle have been linked with Austin but have not made an approachThe Shields Gazette, which suggests Newcastle would be prepared to pay Austin big wages, believe the club are having to play a waiting game because he is stalling to see if Chelsea come in for him.Again the suggestion is that Austin, 25, would rather remain in the capital and join the Blues or West Ham.The Newcastle Evening Chronicle say Austin is McClaren’s top transfer target and the Magpies are ready to step up their apparent interest following Leicester’s bid.The Leicester Mercury reports that Leicester are expected to increase their offer in an attempt to sign Austin.Meanwhile, Radamel Falcao accepted a 50% pay cut to join Chelsea from Monaco on a season-long loan, according to the Daily Mail.The Daily Express claim Tottenham are set to beat Chelsea to the signing of Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic.Italian media reports have linked Spurs with the Serbian and the Express say Chelsea also want him.And Spanish newspaper Super Deporte has reported that Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has asked agent Jorge Mendes to find a new club for Juan Cuadrado – just six months after the Colombian’s move to Stamford Bridge. Valencia are said to be interested.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

One killed in West Bengal during panchayat poll nomination filing

first_imgSporadic violence was reported from several districts of West Bengal on Monday during filing of nominations for the Panchayat elections.One person was shot dead in Suri block of Birbhum district. Police is yet to confirm the person’s political affiliation.Apart from incidents of alleged assault on Opposition party workers by Trinamool Congress (TMC) cadres in the districts of Murshidabad and Paschim Medinipur, two photojournalists and a reporter were assaulted in Murshidabad. One photojournalist was assaulted in Birhum.Meanwhile, Bengal’s Congress leadership said that they would approach the Calcutta High Court regarding the outbreak of violence during filing of nominations.The West Bengal State Election Commission on Saturday night announced that filing of nominations will take place from 11 am to 3 pm on Monday.last_img read more

Haryana’s Nuh bears witness to failure of first ‘mobile court’

first_imgOn the drive south from Delhi towards Alwar, a left turn at Badkali Chowk in Haryana’s Nuh brings one to the small town of Pingawan. About 7 km down the road, one encounters a black, rusted signboard that reads ‘Mobile Court, Pingawan, Mewat’ on the boundary wall of a modest building.But the place is unusually quiet for a court. A solitary watchman, who appears to be in his 60s, is seated on a half-broken chair while two children play close by. “It is a Wednesday. The court sits only on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays,” the watchman says, explaining the lack of activity.The town’s residents promptly direct visitors to the building when asked about the “mobile court”, oblivious to the fact that the court, inaugurated more than a decade ago as the country’s first mobile court, officially lost its ‘mobile court’ designation more than five months ago.Set up in a bus, the court was inaugurated in August 2007 by the then Chief Justice of India K.G. Balakrishnan with the aim of making the judicial system accessible to remote and backward areas, and was slated to sit for one day each week at the four towns of Punhana, Shikrawa, Indana and Lohinga Kalan.Presided over by an Additional Civil Judge-cum-Sub Divisional Judicial Magistrate, it was staffed like a regular court and meant to conduct both civil and criminal cases through full-fledged trials.But just a little over a year after its inauguration, the court gave up on mobility as both the lawyers and the local judicial officers found themselves facing difficulties in operating it in a mobile form. While it was a good initiative to provide “Sasta aur Sulabh Nyay” (affordable and accessible justice) to the people of Punhana, the lack of basic infrastructure was the reason for its failure, said Ferozepur Jhirka Bar Association president Mumtaz Hussain. ‘Lacked key facilities’“Since the mobile court was held in the open at four different locations in the interior areas, it became difficult to provide facilities such as stamp vendors, typewriters, photocopiers and more importantly the treasury to collect court fees,” said Mr. Hussain. “Despite the lawyers cooperating to their full to make the experiment a success, the court had to be fixed in a building in Punhana,” he added.The court was subsequently shifted to its present building in Pingawan after a year since the Punhana building had to be vacated for the Election Commission during the 2009 election. After the District and Sessions Judge, Nuh, sought the discontinuation of the “mobile court” in 2013, the Punjab and Haryana High Court formally consented to it on July 17, 2018.However, with the court now presided over by a junior judge, litigants have to travel to the Ferozepur Jhirka court to file civil suits, defeating the purpose of door-step delivery of justice. “It was an initiative taken in haste without considering the ground realities,” said another lawyer, who did not wish to be identified. As for the ‘mobile court’ bus, it now lies parked in the Ferozepur Jhirka court campus — a testimony to the failed experiment.last_img read more

Swag back: Thunder snap out of funk, overcome Raptors

first_imgDennis Schroder came off the bench to score 12 of his 26 points in the fourth quarter and Jerami Grant scored 19 as the Thunder avenged Wednesday’s 123-114 home defeat to Toronto.“We just played defense at a higher level tonight,” Westbrook said.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsBesides defense, the Thunder also improved their outside shooting, making 20 of 43 shots from 3-point range. Oklahoma City shot 13 for 43 from 3 in Wednesday’s loss.“They made ’em tonight,” Raptors coach Nick Nurse said. Manny Pacquiao presence in ‘Rising Stars’ card inspires young boxers Google Philippines names new country director Lowry missed his second straight game because of a sprained right ankle. Nurse said there’s no structural damage to Lowry’s ankle, but soreness remains following a collision with New York’s Mitchell Robinson on Monday. Nurse said Lowry is expected to return next week.Danny Green scored 19 points and Serge Ibaka had 11, but Toronto couldn’t hold a double-digit lead in the third quarter for the second straight game. The Raptors gave away a 20-point lead before recovering to win in overtime Wednesday, but weren’t able to match that on their home court.“We were right there, really close there at the end and didn’t get many breaks,” Nurse said.Oklahoma City trailed by 10 points to start the second half, and was down 13 with 5:23 to go in the third before rallying. Westbrook gave the visitors the lead for the first time since early in the first quarter on a layup with 1:18 left in the period, putting them up 80-79. The Thunder closed the third with a 20-4 run to take an 83-80 lead into the fourth.Leonard cut the gap to 93-91 on a free throw with 7:33 to play but George hit 3-pointers on either side of a fast-break layup by Grant, giving Oklahoma City a 101-91 edge with 6:21 left.The Thunder missed eight of their first 10 shots of the game. Toronto was 5 of 6 from 3-point range in the first, with Green making all three of his attempts, and the Raptors led 29-22 after one.The Raptors led 58-48 at halftime.TIP-INSThunder: Oklahoma City has won four straight in Toronto. … Westbrook shot 6 for 20, going 3 for 10 in each half. … Terrance Ferguson scored 11 points. … Oklahoma City made a season-high 22 3-pointers against the Lakers on Jan. 17.Raptors: Norman Powell had a career-high 11 rebounds. … Starting C Marc Gasol didn’t attempt a shot until scoring on a dunk with 1:40 remaining in the fourth. … Former Raptors star Jorge Garbajosa attended the game. Colombia protesters vow new strike after talks hit snag PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LATEST STORIES Miguel Romero Polo: Bamboo technology like no other Oklahoma City Thunder forward Paul George (13) picks up an offensive foul on Toronto Raptors guard Danny Green (14) during second-half NBA basketball game action in Toronto, Friday, March 22, 2019. (Frank Gunn/The Canadian Press via AP)TORONTO — Stuck in a four-game losing streak, Russell Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder came to Toronto and got their swagger back.Paul George scored 28 points, Westbrook had 18 points, 13 assists and 12 rebounds, and the Thunder beat the Raptors 116-109 on Friday night.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View commentscenter_img Bloomberg: US would benefit from more, not fewer, immigrants Trump tells impeachment jokes at annual turkey pardon event MOST READ STREAK STOPPEDToronto lost for the first time in 20 games when leading at the half, ending a franchise-record streak.ROTTEN RECIPEThe Raptors made 22 turnovers, one shy of their season worst.“If someone told you before the game you’d have 20 turnovers and they’d hit 20 3s, you’d say we’d lose by 20,” Raptors Fred VanVleet said. “It’s not a recipe for success.”UP NEXTThunder: At Memphis on Monday night.Raptors: Host Charlotte on Sunday night. Schroder connected on 10 of 16 shots, going 4 of 7 from long range.“He gave us a really good boost at both ends of the floor,” coach Billy Donovan said.Schroder called it an important win for the Thunder.“We got back to our swag, how we play,” Schroder said. “To come up big like that in Toronto means a lot for everyone.”Kawhi Leonard scored 37 points and Pascal Siakam had 25 for the Raptors, who played without All-Star point guard Kyle Lowry.ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Wintry storm delivers US travel woes before Thanksgiving Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hostinglast_img read more