World Cup qualifying preparation for PNG underway

first_imgAssistant Coach Reginald Davani has put a 23 man train-on squad that will be in camp in Port Moresby by the end of the month to get underway with their preparation for the Oceania section of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualification.The squad includes 16 former and current players plus seven new players.The 16 former players who were retained are: Ismael Pole, Roland Bala, Emmanuel Simon, Jacob Sabua, Otto Kusunan, Raymond Gunemba, Alwin Komolong, Felix Komolong, Philip Steven, Patrick Aisa, Ronald Warisan, Leslie Kalai, Daniel Joe, David Muta, Michael Foster and Nigel Dabinyaba.The 7 new players: Greg Togubai, Emmanuel Airem, Samuel Kini, Sammy Campbell, David Brown, Stahl Gubag and Kolu KepuDavani said he is still waiting for the confirmation from 6 more players and is also hoping to add to the list, 2-3 more players that have been identified from abroad. One of those players is from the Australian A-League. With so much at stake, the start of a new phase of qualifying will see PNG lining up in group B against Tahiti and Solomon Islands.PNG kick off their campaign on March 20 and 28, in a home and away match against Tahiti.The PNG Men’s train-on squad: Ismael Pole, Roland Bala, Jacob Sabua, Otto Kusunan, Raymond Gunemba, Alwin Komolong, Felix Komolong, Philip Steven, Patrick Aisa, Ronald Warisan, Leslie Kalai, Daniel Joe, David Muta, Michael Foster, Nigel Dabinyaba, Greg Togubai, Emmanuel Airem, Samuel Kini, Sammy Campbell, David Brown, Emmanuel Simon, Stahl Gubag and Kolu Kepu,Player waiting for confirmation: Tommy Semmy, Koriak Upaiga, Wira Wama, Kenneth Pilailo and Giwi Simon.(File picture)last_img read more

Family still awaiting justice for Devon Deene

first_imgDevon Deene was riding his motorcycle along the Albion Public Road, Berbice, early on the morning of September 22, 2015, when a minibus collided with him. The driver was allegedly found standing over his near-lifeless body before he was rushed to a nearby hospital. He later died.A year later there are no answers to what really occurred and a proposed inquest has not yet begun.Deene’s family is saying that there is some sort of cover-up in the investigations.His sister Kenisha said that since the accident there has been no justice: “We believe that justice delayed is justice denied and it hurts us every day to know that we have to go on knowing that we lose a brother, son an uncle… Nobody is calling us to say this is the case or it is at this position,” she said.The woman lamented that “words cannot articulate the way we feel knowing that my brother is gone and this young man is living free. Every time he sees us he looks at us so pompously and I think that is really unfair.”She claimed that the driver of the minibus which struck her brother was seen consuming what appeared to be alcohol at the Berbice Expo and Trade Fair minutes before the accident occurred while Deene, a factory worker at the Albion Sugar Factory, was on his way home from work.After the accident, she said, her brother’s motorbike was found some distance from the minibus. She said his helmet was never found. According to her, it was because of this that family members believe that there is more to the incident than just the accident.However, eyewitnesses claimed that the motorcyclist was speeding at the time of the accident and was not wearing a helmet.Nevertheless, the sister is contending that a proper investigation was not carried out. She recalls that even before her brother was buried, the driver of the minibus was on the “road driving another vehicle and has never been charged for the causing the death.”“All they tell us is that the file went to the DPP, yes it went to the DPP but nobody is saying anything to us. They had other cases that went to the DPP and they had closure…” Officer-in-Charge of Traffic ‘B’ Division (Berbice) Budnarine Persaud said the Director of Public Prosecutions has advised that an inquest be held to determine whether anyone was responsible for the death of Deene. He explained that based on the outcome of the inquest that it will be determined whether charges will be laid.However, he did express concern that the inquest had not started as yet but noted that the Police have no control over that aspect of the investigations.Deene was riding his motorcycle west along the Albion Public Road when he reportedly tried to overtake a minibus bearing registration PHH 3410, which was heading in the same direction but ended up colliding with it.He was rushed to the Port Mourant Hospital, but was later transferred to the New Amsterdam Hospital. However, given his critical state, Deene was transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital and placed on a life-support machine. He later succumbed.last_img read more

Father discharged from GPHC with memory loss

first_imgApproximately two weeks after an accident on the Essequibo Coast, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam), rendered a father almost helpless, he has been discharged from the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) after losing most of his memory and mobility.Valmeek Persaud, a 53-year-old father of three, who hails from New Road, Charity, Essequibo Coast, was struck down on May 18, 2018, during a heavy downpour by a motorcyclist who was not only allegedly drunk, but also riding without lights.One of the man’s saddened sons, Prakash Persaud, said his father was only discharged from the hospital on Tuesday and is still trying to adapt to his new lifestyle.According to him, his father has steel placed inside his leg, which has been helping him to become more mobile and which is also still being treated. Meanwhile, the man has returned to his normal diet, with the exception of a fewValmeek Persaud while he was hospitalisedfoods for medical purposes.The man, who farms for a living, has not been able to ply his trade since he suffered these injuries, along with severe brain damage, which has taken a toll on his memory, among other side effects.The man’s son told Guyana Times on Friday, “Sometimes he knows you and sometimes he doesn’t. Sometimes he is be sitting right there and call you someone else’s name. It’s like he has amnesia because he forgets everything in like a few minutes. Up to now he still questions us like what happened to his foot because, he like, he doesn’t remember the accident”.Added to that, he said his father is being monitored by the Georgetown Public Hospital. He noted in an almost tearful voice that as much as he wants his father to recover, he does not know how soon it can be made possible, since his father’s condition does not look “promising”.In relation to the rider of the motorcycle, Persaud said he learnt the man was released on bail by Police who told the family that they are not allowed to give them any other information.Persaud was rushed to the Charity Hospital, along with the rider of the motorcycle who fractured his jaw and reportedly cracked his skull. The men were subsequently taken to the Suddie Public Hospital before finally being transferred to GPHC.The 53-year-old man was reportedly on his way home during a heavy downpour around 19:00h that evening when the motorcyclist struck him.He was being treated at GPHC for a fractured right leg, internal bleeding, brain damage, spinal injuries, a cut in his right eye and several lacerations about his body.last_img read more