Father discharged from GPHC with memory loss

first_imgApproximately two weeks after an accident on the Essequibo Coast, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam), rendered a father almost helpless, he has been discharged from the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) after losing most of his memory and mobility.Valmeek Persaud, a 53-year-old father of three, who hails from New Road, Charity, Essequibo Coast, was struck down on May 18, 2018, during a heavy downpour by a motorcyclist who was not only allegedly drunk, but also riding without lights.One of the man’s saddened sons, Prakash Persaud, said his father was only discharged from the hospital on Tuesday and is still trying to adapt to his new lifestyle.According to him, his father has steel placed inside his leg, which has been helping him to become more mobile and which is also still being treated. Meanwhile, the man has returned to his normal diet, with the exception of a fewValmeek Persaud while he was hospitalisedfoods for medical purposes.The man, who farms for a living, has not been able to ply his trade since he suffered these injuries, along with severe brain damage, which has taken a toll on his memory, among other side effects.The man’s son told Guyana Times on Friday, “Sometimes he knows you and sometimes he doesn’t. Sometimes he is be sitting right there and call you someone else’s name. It’s like he has amnesia because he forgets everything in like a few minutes. Up to now he still questions us like what happened to his foot because, he like, he doesn’t remember the accident”.Added to that, he said his father is being monitored by the Georgetown Public Hospital. He noted in an almost tearful voice that as much as he wants his father to recover, he does not know how soon it can be made possible, since his father’s condition does not look “promising”.In relation to the rider of the motorcycle, Persaud said he learnt the man was released on bail by Police who told the family that they are not allowed to give them any other information.Persaud was rushed to the Charity Hospital, along with the rider of the motorcycle who fractured his jaw and reportedly cracked his skull. The men were subsequently taken to the Suddie Public Hospital before finally being transferred to GPHC.The 53-year-old man was reportedly on his way home during a heavy downpour around 19:00h that evening when the motorcyclist struck him.He was being treated at GPHC for a fractured right leg, internal bleeding, brain damage, spinal injuries, a cut in his right eye and several lacerations about his body.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *